Saturday 2 August 2014

High Tide 03:04 (2.30m)
Low Tide 08:40 (0.90m)
High Tide 15:12 (2.50m)
Low Tide 21:21 (0.70m)
Sea temperature: varied between 19.4 and 20 on my morning swims this week
Sea conditions: a very shallow week, calm
Weather: today was cooler due to overnight storms
Joined by: The Usual Suspects, The Vicar's Wife and The Good Shepherd.
There had been loud and pretty violent storms from about 4.30 onwards and the water was surprisingly clear as a result. The Pirate had heard it all kick off but had then managed to sleep through the rest but DK hadn't even heard it due to his 'noise machine'. He often sleeps surrounded by recorded sounds of rain and other soothing natural delights, so it's hard to distinguish between these and the real thing. We'd been woken by the first rains as our bedroom acts like a drum, being in the attic of an old workshop, and then once the thunder kicked off the dogs became very unsettled. When Mertz opened the door Willow was halfway up the stairs, shivering, so the rest of the morning was a write off. The water felt very warm, but I'd left my thermometer in the hut so didn't take it but it'll certainly be a 2 or 3 swim day, so I will later.
Trigger has joined Mabel in being a chauffeured dog, they look so smug coming down to the beach in their little carriages with their drivers. I just received this picture from TBC with the caption: Attached Trig and Mabel, don't know who the old gits are with them!

The Pirate was in a deliberately Eeyore-ish frame of mind this morning and wound me up so much as we were gong into the sea, hand in hand, that I let go and pushed him in. He had it coming. To get his own back, as we was floating around in the silky smooth and blood warm water after our initial exertions, commenting (as so often we do) about how very lucky we are to be able to do this every morning, he turned the conversation to The Book of Revelations and the Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea bit. He is alarmingly well versed in doom laden scripture. The Poet commented that he has a friend who populates his Facebook page with quotes from The Book of Revelations, I can imagine that it sits rather oddly alongside grumpy cats, petitions to sign petitions and selfies. 
DK, The Poet and I had been to a delightful summer garden drinks do at Wolfie and The Yogi's last night where people had asked me if I'd seen the shark on the beach, as these people were both well known jokers I'd brushed it off, but one of the Webblets had left a comment on my Instagram account saying it was true. Turns out it was a dogfish, which has now gone. Whether it was removed be human or canine scavengers or just someone trying to stop their dog rolling in it I don't know, but all evidence has gone.
I'd woken feeling as if I'd been for a run, which I hadn't, and it took a while to work out that the aching legs were due to wearing 6 inch platforms last night - and this reminded The Pirate about a surgeon who had been examining him when men wearing heeled boots had been all the rage. The surgeon had asked to see the boot and had taken them out of the room, was gone for some while, and when he returned he handed the boots back without any hells. He'd sawn them off.
Jess is getting confused as we all come out of the sea these days and has attached herself to at least 2 men who were not The Poet this week. She's very wobbly too, but still has grace and elegance when she moves in a straight line. She's also taken to standing in the shallows, which worries me after her little plunge in our pond.


No comments:

Post a Comment