Tuesday 13 November 2012

Low Tide03:03 (0.80m)
High Tide09:14 (2.70m)
Low Tide15:32 (0.50m)
High Tide21:54 (2.60m)
Sea temperature: 10.4 much warmer today
Sea conditions: some intermittent large waves but generally good swimming conditions
Weather: trying hard to be lovely
Joined by: Sara and The Poet
Topics of conversation:
The missing man - the poor soul is still missing and as I type this morning there is the constant overhead drone of the police helicopter as it hovers up and down the river. Police vans and cars are in evidence everywhere and sadly it seems that there may be little hope of finding him alive. The police dogs followed a trail to the edge of the water yesterday. Hockey Lady know's him quite well through her golfing; his life has been a series of sad turns over the last few years since his wife died and he has been treated for depression. Of course there is always the chance that this is someone wanting to start a new life somewhere else, something I often speculate about in these situations as  dear family friend disappeared when I was young and I remain convinced that she is alive and well.
I had dragged an entire tree out of the water this morning, to stop it being washed back out (I guess I'm particularly wary of what is in the water today).
Out of Water - I took part in this art project last summer and yesterday I received some images from the event, which took place on Holkham beach. Those of us who took part have been asked to write about our experience as the performance may tour the country. It was a unique and profound experience, I found it meditative and it reconnected me to many of my deeper instincts about the sea. We took different roles in the group, swimmer or singer, although those of us who chose to swim gave the opposite impression, especially to those in the audience who knew us. My friend Sez had to be ushered of the beach as she was became concerned that we were drowning, even though I had warned her not to look back. Sara asked if I'd do it again (bearing in mind that I ended up with a serious infection in the orbit of my eye as a result of being motionless on the beach and in the sea for hours in the driving wind), and I would, regardless of the risk. This is the original text from LACE (Live Art Collective East):
At Holkham Beach in Norfolk the sea glistens mirage-like in the distance. In the early morning light a group of singers and swimmers strike out towards the water’s edge until they span the wide expanse of beach. They each look towards the sea, eyes intent, focused on the horizon, searching for something. Is somebody lost at sea?

Created by Helen Paris and Caroline Wright, Out of Water features a newly commissioned sound-score by acclaimed composer Jocelyn Pook. Stories of endeavor, of swimming, of sinking, of living interweave with haunting music, lifeguard drills, calls for help and struggles for breath.

Out of Water is a Live Art Collective East project for the London 2012 Festival supported by Arts Council England, PRS For Music Foundation’s Women Make Music Scheme and Norfolk County Council.

Out of Water debuted on Holkham Beach on 25, 26, 27 August, 2012. The performance featured Helen Paris, Caroline Wright, Laura Wright, Oo La Lume and 22 local participants from North Norfolk.














No comments:

Post a Comment