Friday 4 January 2013

High Tide02:22 (2.50m)
Low Tide08:41 (0.70m)
High Tide15:00 (2.20m)
Low Tide20:38 (1.00m)
Sea temperature: 7.2 yesterday
Sea conditions: calm, grey
Weather: ridiculously dark
Joined by: Sara and The Poet
Topics of conversation:
No DK or The Pirate today, I'd forgotten that whilst The Pirate is home from his Cambodian adventure, he is now in France, on retreat. Having not left the country since the mid 80's he's clearly back on travelling form. DK is off galavanting in London with Legs and Lovely Liz, whose performance on the beach is immortalised here: Brecht and Weill

The shifting sands - the sand banks here move about as they see fit, and their unpredictability can be disorientating. Today the tide was much lower than the table suggested it should be and we could see small waves breaking about 100 yards out. There was a trough in which we could just swim so I stayed there as I wanted to really stretch my body this morning, having spend most of yesterday evening curled up in a ball in front of the fire with a book. Sara and The Poet went to investigate and sure enough they were soon standing almost parallel with the end of the pier and only up to their ankles in water. We all had stories of times in the distant past when we'd been caught out by these banks that appear and disappear, I'm sure that there was always something moving about out there in my memory, a kind of sand creature, toying with us. It reminded me of a more malevolent image by John Kenn Mortensen - I love his stuff.
I'm off for a couple of days with my BGF before term starts, she lives miles from the sea so I shall miss it, but I miss her, so there is a pay off.


More John Ken Mortensen in The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/gallery/2013/jan/02/john-kenn-mortensen-sticky-monsters-gallery#/?picture=401347241&index=0

1 comment:


  1. This post is very nice and amazing. Please, continued to write same wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete