Tuesday 28 May 2013

High Tide01:19 (2.60m)
Low Tide07:18 (0.60m)
High Tide13:30 (2.60m)
Low Tide19:53 (0.40m)
Sea temperature: 11.4
Sea conditions: choppy
Weather: Very warm inland, cold wind off the sea 
Joined by: The Artist and The Light Entertainment
Topics of conversation:
As I came over the dunes to the beach a tranquil site met me, despite the cold wind coaxing the tide back in rather more rapidly than usual, The L.E. was practicing Tai Chi and was silhouetted against the water. She was throwing shapes with gay abandon and as I approached some unconventional moves snuck into her practice - I wondered if she was listening to rave music in her head. 
The incident over the weekend, north of the river was our main topic of conversation. There had been a near disaster, when a swimming race had gone badly wrong and 58 people had to be rescued from the sea. I'd been on Mother in Law duty this weekend and had missed the drama, but it had been on the local news, as well as in the papers. My Mother in Law had been very concerned and made me promise I wouldn't swim on my own in North Norfolk as a result. The press reports have been widely varying:
BBC
Eastern Daily Press
Adnams Sponsorship
RNLI official info
I'd met The Village Oracles on the way down to the beach and they'd added another spin on the story - they had heard that the RNLI had not approved of the swim and this would make sense of some of the varying viewpoints, it's clearly hard when someone has a completely different experience of an event, and the organiser had certainly made some errors of judgement. Arse covering seems to be going on though.

No comments:

Post a Comment