Tuesday 27 August 2013

High Tide03:19 (2.30m)
Low Tide09:03 (0.90m)
High Tide15:31 (2.50m)
Low Tide21:39 (0.80m)
Sea temperature: 19.1
Sea conditions: good
Weather: heavy mist, thick fog inland
Joined by: The Usual Suspects and Matthew
Topics of conversation:
Timing - I didn't swim yesterday and when I got down to the water I assumed that the others must have put the swim time back to 7.30 as no one was there. I waited till 7.20 but the mist was thick there was still no one in sight so I went in alone. It was eerily beautiful, the sun was trying to come through the cloud and the thick mist was rising over the water so that there was a bright glow on the horizon. The sea and the sky were both a strange sepia tone and there was a deadening of sound that seems to come with the mist. The swimmers gathered on the shore as I swam and dear Raffi, my dog lodger, got slightly confused by the crowd, he'd walked in with me till the water covered him and then sat guarding the beach, but now he couldn't see me so I waded to the shore to reassure him. Once the others were in DK also reassured me that he wouldn't change the time without telling me, and as we had the autumn conversation and September is approaching I guess that will be happening soon. Raffi goes home today and I've loved having him to stay, he's Willow's brother and they quickly get into being a little pack, hunting in the field opposite the house and milling about in the orchard, I'll miss him. 
The mist was starting to clear as we left the beach.



The Vicar's Wife had seen that the wooden posts from the beach huts have been removed, presumably for fires, and we agreed how annoying it was. She was thinking of bringing the grandchildren down today and as we share resources - gas, water, space etc. we discussed the new brazier, which lives in hers and takes up quite a lot of room. It's been a real bonus though, and she might even stay later on the beach and use it, as it gives off quite a lot of heat. I haven't cooked on it yet as we've also had a small portable BBQ down there, The Drapers have a full kitchen in their hut and they've been in residence for the last few days too, so I have been a bit lazy.
FolkEast - The Pirate had been to the local festival and The Vicar's Wife had been interested to see how he'd found it as it is only in its second year and she had been thinking of going, but her husband  doesn't share her taste in music (a way of life I have grown used to). It had been very gentle and we tried to work out how they manage to keep it going as it can't be cheap to stage. The two of them then had a conversation about Steeleye Span and it became clear that she was a fan and he certainly wasn't. I don't know much about them, I've just had to Google them, but I'm not sure that The Pirate can really call them a "Rock Band" as they seem to wear embroidered waistcoats and have either beards or long skirts.
Matthew and I agreed that a dose of Dr. Sea was long overdue for him and he may even return tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment